204.269.8162
dog-services

Dog Urinalysis and Fecal Exam

Collecting urine (urinalysis) for testing is important in detecting various types of urinary tract diseases including infections and renal health issues. To check for intestinal parasites, we recommend fecal (stool) testing. Intestinal parasites are a major cause of morbidity in animals if left untreated.

When and why are fecal test required?

Your pet’s history and lifestyle give some indication as to whether they are more or less likely to have certain parasites. Important factors include the age of the pet, recent adoption from a shelter, frequenting dog parks, doggie daycare, obedience classes, administration of year-round parasite preventatives, hunting and or the presence of fleas on the pet. If your pet is at risk, please discuss deworming options and testing with one of our team. A fecal test or inspection of a parasite found in a pet’s vomit or feces can help determine what medication your pet may need and if repeated doses are required. Fecal exams are often performed when a pet has diarrhea to look for various bacterial, protozoal (i.e. giardia, cryptosporidia), or helminth (ex. roundworms) infections so targeted treatments can be provided.

If my dog’s urine test reveals a urinary tract infection, what can I do?


If a urinary tract infection is confirmed, the veterinarian will choose an appropriate antibiotic to eliminate or “kill” the bacteria. If the type of bacteria is unknown or we have a recurring infection, urine samples are often sent to a referral lab for a more detailed test known as a culture and sensitivity. This test specifically identifies the bacteria present and which antibiotics they are sensitive to.

banner banner

Blog

Water Intoxication

Water Intoxication in Dogs

Does your dog like to play in the water? Too much of a good thing can be dangerous, so look out for water intoxication!Water intoxication, also known as hyponatremia is a relatively rare but potentially fatal condition that is most commonly seen in dogs that love to play in the water. Water games that involve retrieving items or diving into pools to catch toys can cause them to ingest large quantities of water very quickly. It can also happen when they “catch” pressurized water from sprinklers or hoses.Excessive amounts of water cause the body to lose sodium. The body's cells begin to fill with water and swell. If the cells in the brain swell, it can affect the central nervous system which can be fatal.Symptoms include:loss of coordination lethargy bloating vomiting glazed eyes excessive salivation difficulty breathing seizures comaWater intoxication progresses quickly so if your pet has been playing in the water and begins to show any of the signs mentioned above, it's crucial to seek veterinary care immediately to save your dog's life.Treatment of water intoxication typically includes IV delivery of electrolytes, diuretics and drugs to reduce brain swelling. With aggressive veterinary care, some dogs are able to recover, but sadly, many do not.It's important to closely watch dogs that are very active in water and ensure they take regular breaks in between playing. Be especially careful on days when the water is rough. If your dog empties their water bowl after playing hard or exercise, ensure they are rested before refilling the bowl.Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of water intoxication to keep your furry family member safe!If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at 204-269-8162 or by email at info@centennialanimalhospital.com.Written by Centennial Animal Hospital

Read More
See All Articles