204.269.8162

Protecting Your Pet From Holiday Hazards

The holiday season can be a fun and exciting time for you and your family – but can be a dangerous time for your pets! Here are some common household hazards to avoid to help your pet have a safe and happy holiday.

Decorations

Household Plants: Mistletoe, holly, lilies, pine, Christmas rose and poinsettias are all potentially dangerous to your pets if eaten.

Tinsel, Confetti, and Wrappers: All of these
can cut up the digestive tract and block your pet’s intestines. Also, ensure the tree is well-secured.

Ornaments and Snow Globes: Ornament pieces and hooks can damage your pet’s stomach and intestines. Snow globes often contain toxic antifreeze, so clean them up immediately if broken.

Lit Candles, Christmas Lights and Extension Cords: Keep these out of your pet’s reach to avoid burn injuries or electrical shock. Cords for lights should be made inaccessible to pets, especially chewing puppies and exploring kittens.

Pet Toys and Clothing

Be sure to consider your pet’s safety when choosing that special outfit or toy(s) for your pet. Avoid items with small parts – especially metal parts – and make sure toys are not small enough for your pet to swallow.

Human Foods

Fatty Trimmings and Bones: Pets may experience vomiting and diarrhea. Fatty food can also promote pancreatitis. Turkey bones easily splinter. Swallowed bones can pierce or block your pet’s intestines.

Caffeine: Make sure that after-dinner coffee or tea is for humans only! Caffeine can cause heart problems and vomiting in animals.

Raisins and Grapes: These are known to cause kidney failure in pets and are also a choking hazard, so use caution when passing around the fruit tray.

Chocolate: Enjoy our dessert, but avoid giving any chocolate to your pets. Consumption of chocolate can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, tremors, seizures and even death. Be especially cautious with baking chocolate.

Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: These nuts can cause severe lethargy, increased body temperature, vomiting, tremors, joint stiffness and the inability to walk.

Alcohol: Even in small amounts, all types of alcohol can make your pets very sick. Alcoholic drinks may cause vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, lethargy, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma and seizures.

Artificial Sweeteners: Sugarless gum and artificially sweetened treats may cause vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures and liver failure.

If you have any concerns or questions about any items in this article, please contact one of our team members at 204-269-8162. For service in Mandarin, please call 204-226-7966.

Category:
banner banner

Blog

Water Intoxication

Water Intoxication in Dogs

Does your dog like to play in the water? Too much of a good thing can be dangerous, so look out for water intoxication!Water intoxication, also known as hyponatremia is a relatively rare but potentially fatal condition that is most commonly seen in dogs that love to play in the water. Water games that involve retrieving items or diving into pools to catch toys can cause them to ingest large quantities of water very quickly. It can also happen when they “catch” pressurized water from sprinklers or hoses.Excessive amounts of water cause the body to lose sodium. The body's cells begin to fill with water and swell. If the cells in the brain swell, it can affect the central nervous system which can be fatal.Symptoms include:loss of coordination lethargy bloating vomiting glazed eyes excessive salivation difficulty breathing seizures comaWater intoxication progresses quickly so if your pet has been playing in the water and begins to show any of the signs mentioned above, it's crucial to seek veterinary care immediately to save your dog's life.Treatment of water intoxication typically includes IV delivery of electrolytes, diuretics and drugs to reduce brain swelling. With aggressive veterinary care, some dogs are able to recover, but sadly, many do not.It's important to closely watch dogs that are very active in water and ensure they take regular breaks in between playing. Be especially careful on days when the water is rough. If your dog empties their water bowl after playing hard or exercise, ensure they are rested before refilling the bowl.Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of water intoxication to keep your furry family member safe!If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at 204-269-8162 or by email at info@centennialanimalhospital.com.Written by Centennial Animal Hospital

Read More
See All Articles