204.269.8162

Blog - Tag

Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Many people know about common things that are toxic to dogs such as chocolate and raisins, but fewer know about the dangers of xylitol ingestion in dogs. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is being put in more and more products, and can pose a fatal threat to your dog.

Read More

Pet Summer Safety Guide

  Fireworks & Thunderstorms – Exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns or trauma, and even unused fireworks can contain hazardous materials.

Read More

Hot Paws

Hot asphalt, concrete or beach sand can quickly blister your dog’s paw pads. Paws softened by a day of swimming are at extra risk. Broken glass, jagged metal, and burrs present hazards to your dog. When the air temperature is this, asphalt has been measured at this!

Read More

When is it too HOT for your dog?

Every year dogs die from being left in hot cars. Instead of sweating like humans, dogs cool themselves by panting and sweating through their paws. Stuffy cars and hot upholstery can hinder your dogs cool down process. Many people think leaving a window open will keep their dog safe, but studies show that an open window […]

Read More

Protecting Your Pet From Holiday Hazards

The holiday season can be a fun and exciting time for you and your family – but can be a dangerous time for your pets! Here are some common household hazards to avoid to help your pet have a safe and happy holiday.

Read More
1 2
banner banner

Blog

Water Intoxication

Water Intoxication in Dogs

Does your dog like to play in the water? Too much of a good thing can be dangerous, so look out for water intoxication!Water intoxication, also known as hyponatremia is a relatively rare but potentially fatal condition that is most commonly seen in dogs that love to play in the water. Water games that involve retrieving items or diving into pools to catch toys can cause them to ingest large quantities of water very quickly. It can also happen when they “catch” pressurized water from sprinklers or hoses.Excessive amounts of water cause the body to lose sodium. The body's cells begin to fill with water and swell. If the cells in the brain swell, it can affect the central nervous system which can be fatal.Symptoms include:loss of coordination lethargy bloating vomiting glazed eyes excessive salivation difficulty breathing seizures comaWater intoxication progresses quickly so if your pet has been playing in the water and begins to show any of the signs mentioned above, it's crucial to seek veterinary care immediately to save your dog's life.Treatment of water intoxication typically includes IV delivery of electrolytes, diuretics and drugs to reduce brain swelling. With aggressive veterinary care, some dogs are able to recover, but sadly, many do not.It's important to closely watch dogs that are very active in water and ensure they take regular breaks in between playing. Be especially careful on days when the water is rough. If your dog empties their water bowl after playing hard or exercise, ensure they are rested before refilling the bowl.Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of water intoxication to keep your furry family member safe!If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at 204-269-8162 or by email at info@centennialanimalhospital.com.Written by Centennial Animal Hospital

Read More
See All Articles