About Centennial Animal Hospital

Owl

We are a full service, small animal hospital located in Fort Richmond, 2 minutes inside the South Perimeter, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. We have been serving South Winnipeg and the surrounding areas since 1970. Centennial Animal Hospital offers advanced veterinary care as well as medical, surgical and dental services. We provide the latest in technology from laser surgery to digital radiology. In 1986 we added professional grooming and pet boarding to our list of services. In 2003 we expanded our facilites and started offering doggie daycare and obedience training.

Full list of services

November/December News

Santa Photos!


 

Get your holiday pet photos taken with Santa!

November 30th 1 PM to 3 PM
Centennial Animal Hospital



Holiday Hazards for Pet Owners


 

During times of celebration, friends and family often gather in our homes. At these times, it is easy to overlook potential hazards to your dog's health and safety. In order to prevent mishaps for your cuddly companions, it is important that you recognize a few of these hidden dangers:

I've heard that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Is this true?

Many people do not realize that chocolate can be a poison when eaten in large amounts, even to people! Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, that has caffeine﷓like activities. Theobromine is used medicinally as a diuretic, heart stimulant, blood vessel dilator, and a smooth muscle relaxant. Unsweetened or baking chocolate contains a much higher amount of the potentially toxic theobromine than milk chocolate (approximately 10﷓20 times the amount on average), but even milk chocolate can be dangerous in large enough amounts or to a small dog. For a dog weighing 22 pounds (10 kg), as little as 2 ounces (about 50 grams) of baking or dark chocolate or 30 ounces (about 0.8 kg) of good quality milk chocolate is toxic. Clinical signs of chocolate poisoning include hyperexcitability, nervousness, vomiting, diarrhea and death. For further details about the hazards of chocolate, see our handout "Chocolate Poisoning". Dogs have a keen sense of smell and will easily find those wrapped boxes of chocolate that are stashed under the tree!

What sort of festive plants are toxic to dogs?

Poinsettia sap can be irritating to the mouth and stomach of the dog that chews on or eats the leaves or stems of this festive plant. Contrary to popular belief, poinsettia is not specifically toxic, but can cause intestinal upset.

Some mistletoe species are toxic, causing liver failure or seizures, while other species are only irritating to the intestinal tract if ingested. The fact that there are several types of mistletoe makes it difficult to predict the clinical signs of poisoning with this popular holiday trimming. It is wise to consider mistletoe to be a hazardous substance and keep it out of reach of pets and children.

Other seasonal plants that are toxic include daffodils and narcissi, spring bulbs that are commonly 'forced' to bloom during the winter and bring a 'breath of springtime' into our homes.

My dog likes to chew on cords. Can this be harmful?

Dangling cords of various types are tempting to dogs that like to play with string as well as young puppies that are teething and are chewing anything and everything. Puppies have extremely sharp teeth that can easily pierce the insulation around electric light cords or extension cords. If a pet bites through an electrical cord that is plugged in, it could result in a severe burn to the tongue or an electrical shock that could damage the lungs or heart. This is an emergency requiring immediate veterinary attention.

Photo Gallery

Client Survey

Your opinion is important to us and the information you provide will help us to improve our services and help us maintain a high level of patient care and client satisfaction.

Contact Us

Address: 2747 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB
Telephone 1: 204.269.8162 (Hospital)
Telephone 2: 204.261.5928 (Boarding,
Grooming & Daycare) E-mail: info@centennialanimalhospital.com